Underground online dating secrets
London Underground has served as a location for movie makers since the 1920s and is still used for filming today.
Although most of Charing Cross Tube station is still used by thousands of passengers on a daily basis, various scenes in the Skyfall (2012) blockbuster were filmed in the disused sections of Charing Cross Underground station.
Lots of people have written about it but they try to cover it all up.“Nobody knows what’s under there, no one has been able to investigate.“They’re frightened that if they find stuff under there, it’s going to blow all their books and all their history out of the window.“They started to investigate it but then they stopped.
So they must have known there’s stuff there but they’re worried.“Once it’s proven that all their history is wrong, all their books they’ve written will be thrown out.
Film fans will love the section of the exhibition featuring vintage film posters through the ages from an unused poster artwork for the 1972 film Death Line to the film poster for V for Vendetta (2005), a dystopian drama in which the hero V is holed up at a decaying Aldwych station.
Those wishing to take a bit of disused station history home can treat themselves to a new illustrated Hidden London book (Hardback, £25) published by Yale University Press which will be on sale from 10 September at London Transport Museum’s shop in Covent Garden, online at and other stores nationwide.
At the Museum’s exhibition launch Friday Late event on 11 October, guests can be the first to visit Hidden London – The Exhibition, meet the people behind the Hidden London tour programme Kids go free and adult tickets allow unlimited entry to London Transport Museum’s galleries and temporary exhibitions for a whole year. Hidden London – The Exhibition closes in January 2021.
These ‘forgotten’ parts of the Tube network have incredible stories to tell about Britain’s wartime past such as the Plessey aircraft underground factory which had 2,000 members of staff, mostly women, working in the two 2.5 mile-long tunnels on the eastern section of the Central line during the Second World War.It is the first time such a large number of archive photographs, objects, artworks, diagrams and heritage posters relating to disused stations have been displayed together.King William Street, on the first deep-level electric Tube railway that opened in 1890, became redundant in 1900 when the platforms were found to be pointing the wrong way.Mr Cannon said: “It is obvious from the totally different construction material and colour of the Sphinx head, which we believe is not rock, but some type of manmade substance compared to its limestone and eroded body.“The head and face of the Sphinx must have been changed from its original shape long after the monument was first carved.There is hardly any damage and no erosion on its head compared to its body.”However, the Egyptian authorities say it is not possible to investigate the claims as they say the chambers are either blocked up or full of water.